- The day or night before you intend on eating mung bean pancakes, wash mung beans and rice well, mix together with hot water to covering the combination, and soak overnight. Make sure there is room in the container you use (we love using a ball jar) so that the rice and dhal can expand (and if you’re using a ball jar feel free to cover it with the lid, but do not screw the lid on).
- In the morning, throw out the water and rice, wash the rice and mung beans well.
- Add fresh water, filling the jar up to just under the grain mixture.
- Combine the whole jar of mung beans and rice, the chopped cilantro, baking soda and salt in a good blender. Blend until it becomes a batter.
- Sauté your vegetables of choice!
- In a pan, heat up a little coconut oil and cook the batter like a pancake!
- Put the pancake on plate and top it with the sautéed vegetables and a some sesame seeds if you’d like!
- Any leftover batter can be saved in a covered container in the refrigerator for another day! If you want to use the same batter for savory and sweet pancakes, omit the cilantro and salt from the batter.
Savory Mung Bean Pancakes
Savory Mung Bean pancakes are a wonderful source of unprocessed plant based protein, and are delicious topped with sauteed vegetables or used as a tortilla substitute for a veggie taco.
2/3 Cup Organic Mung Beans
1/3 Cup Organic Basmati Rice
1/4 Cup of Fresh Chopped Cilantro
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup of Sautéed Organic Vegetables
Pinch of Salt