1. Rinse your rice and mung beans 4-5 times until the water runs clear.
2. Add the rice and dahl mixture to a rice cooker with 3 cups of water. Set your rice cooker to the brown rice setting and let cook.
3. Add your spiced ghee and cashews to a pan over medium heat on the stove. Add ½ cup of chopped cilantro and your vegetables of choice. Sauté for a few minutes.
4. Add your sautéed spice, cashew and veggie mixture to the rice cooker and stir. Let cook for 15 more minutes. Add 1-2 tsp of Himalayan salt to taste. At this point you can either eat your kitchari right away or leave it in the rice cooker to keep warm all day long until you’re hungry.
5. When you’re ready to serve, spoon into bowls and top with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro, lime juice, black lava salt and black sesame seeds.
(Alternatively, for an even easier version you can skip the step of sautéing the spices, cashews, and vegetables. Simply throw all the ingredients into your rice cooker at the beginning of the process after rinsing your rice and mung beans and set to the brown rice setting to cook. If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can also prepare it on the stovetop in a saucepan.)