Surya Balancing Kitchari
Makes two servings.
- 1/2 Cup Of Organic Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Of Yellow Split Mung Bean Dhal, Organic
- 1 1/2 tbsp Of Ghee
- 1 Tsp Surya Spa Spices
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 4 Cups Of Fresh Cilantro
- If Desired, Cut Vegetables (Greens, Carrots, Peas, Squash)
- Wash the rice and mung dhal. (Rinse the mung beans well.)
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, heat the ghee, then add the spices. Let it simmer a bit. Add the cilantro, and stir for a moment until you smell the aroma from the herbs.
- Add the rice and mung dhal and stir the spice mixture in.
- Add the water, bring to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, if you’d like, you can add chopped vegetables and let them cook with the kitchari.
- Turn down the heat to low and cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar.
- Cook until tender, which will be in about 20 to 25 minutes. With the burner on very low, you can let the kitchari cook for as long as you like.
You can also prepare kitchari in a rice cooker, which is how we do it at Surya Spa. In this case, prepare the spices and cilantro as above, then add them to the other ingredients directly in the rice cooker, using some of the water to get all the spices out of the saucepan.