Wild Rice and Beet Salad
This colorful salad is simple and delicious. You can feel free to use different herbs to season the salad!
- 3 Beets
- 5 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Basil, Minced
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs. Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 1 Cup Cooked Wild Rice or Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Chopped and Toasted Almonds*
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Place the beets in the water, simmer until soft (check softness with tip of a knife). Once soft, drain the beets in a colander and place under cold water. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins, they should slide off.
- Slice the beets into 1/4 inch thick slices and place them in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, salt, black pepper, herbs and lime juice.
- Place all the ingredients (except the almonds) in a wide bowl and toss them gently.
- Garnish with toasted almonds (and wildflowers if you'd like)!
*Pre-heat the oven to 350’. Place the almonds in a baking tray and toast them for 8 minutes or until golden.